The beauty of this salad is how surprisingly satisfying it is (not to mention packed with nutrient dense vegetables). Usually I start a meal with a salad before moving on to the main, but this stunning salad is just as filling as it is delicious. I also love how easily this can be a dairy free/vegan entree, simply omit the optional chèvre and you are ready to go.
Winter Squash, Brussel Sprout, and Pomegranate Salad
1 lb. of Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 Acorn Squash, de-seeded and sliced
1-2 Pomegranates, seeds only
1 large Onion, halved and thinly sliced
1-2 lbs. of Arugula
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Toasted Walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup of fresh Chèvre (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450′ F (roughly 230′ C)
2. Toss Brussel Sprouts and acorn squash slices in 2 Tbsp. of Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper. Spread evenly on baking sheet (or two), do not crowd. Roast both in oven until browned and tender.
3. Deseed pomegranates, remove any remaining pith, and set aside in a bowl. Click here for a step-by-step walkthrough an easy way to deseed a pomegranate.
4. Add remaining oil to a pan over medium heat, add onions and season with salt. Caramelize onions on the stove top, until tender, brown and sweet. (If you’re in a hurry, add a pinch of brown sugar and a few teaspoons of water as a “cheat” to speed up the caramelization process).
5. Once onions have been caramelized, quickly add arugula to the pan, tossing with the onions until slightly wilted but not soggy, remove immediately and plate.
6. Layer the salad with the arugula/onion mixture on the bottom, then add roasted squash, brussel sprouts, pomegranates and finally the goats cheese and walnuts (should you choose to use them). Serve immediately.